2019 Hyundai Kona Low Oil

Discussion in 'Other Honda Models' started by swimmerkm, Aug 18, 2024.

1. swimmerkm

swimmerkm

I drive a 2019 Hyundai Kona. The engine in my car is a 1.6L turbo. I’m having to replace my engine unfortunately. My dad noticed when I came in the driveway that it was making a funny noise and when he checked the oil there was no oil on the dipstick. The engine holds 4.5L of oil and it was down 3.5L. There was no warning light that came on and the car has a low oil engine light and the engine light never came on either. Now I am forced to replace the engine and Hyundai isn’t helping me out with this issue. It’s going to be over $10,000. And this car has regular maintenance oil changes throughout its entire life. Has anyone else had this problem? What should I do?

swimmerkm, Aug 18, 2024
  2. swimmerkm

Amyls70

my daughter has a 2020 Kona with same issue. She noticed her car was running poorly, check engine light came on, the following day she brought in for service. By then, it began stalling. Running so rough she was afraid to drive it. Brought it in and they said it was 2 quarts low. Added oil. Car fine. It caused me a great deal of concern because I did some research and learned that on average her motor lasts to about 150,000 miles (conveniently out of warranty). So my husband and I have been waiting… because next time I’m putting up a big stink at Hyundai. There’s more. My nephew, a mechanic, not for a dealership, said this is something he sees constantly with this vehicle. Extreme burning of oil. No oil light, check engine light comes on. He said check oil regularly.

so, here we are sitting at a Royal Farms in Greenville NC, getting ready to get it towed. We drove it on a short trip. same things began to happen, as we were traveling home (home is about 30 minutes from where we currently are waiting for a tow) she is more than 2 quarts low and still 2.5 thousand miles away from her next oil change.

Why hasn’t Hyundai recalled this engine? I checked the VIN number for a recall. Although Hyundai recalled thousands of Kona’s, Elantra’s and Veloster’s cars within the years 2019-2021, for improperly heated pistons, leading to engine failure… THIS one isn’t under recall? I call BS.

I think Hyundai is hoping many cars will get out of warranty and need replacement… so when they do finally put the recall out, most will have had engine replacement already and Hyundai will be off the hook.

do your research. I have a 2007 Sonata. Best car I’ve ever owned. Almost at 300,000 miles and NEVER had to ANYTHING beyond basic maintenance. Best car, ever owned, hands down. Runs like a top still. So I thought for a long time…. Yup, getting another Hyundai when it’s time. But no. No I’m not. I no longer trust them. I’m getting a Subaru next time and Hyundai will never have my loyalty again. Sad… because my whole family has been lovers of Hyundai, based on the previous record of customer satisfaction, excellent vehicles and warranty. They are making cheap vehicles now, for much more money than the components are worth.

they’ve lost a family.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    Amyls70, Aug 18, 2024
Ask a Question